Friday, December 24, 2010

Training Day 55- Last One (kinda)

So today was the last day that I went to my trainer's to work with Bailey. Next week if I get a chance to visit him it will only be to hang out and not for training. On January 3rd I will be bringing him home and the training will be less scheduled and more randomly throughout the day. I have been thinking about how I want to continue the blog. Blogging every day will get very boring for my readers (and for me). So I will be posting blogs every Friday to give a recap of the weeks training, unless something blog worthy occurs that just can't wait until Friday. I feel Bailey is ready to come home and I think having him here will speed up his learning of tasks/strengthen our bond even further.
So when we got there today Bailey was in his crate. He was tap-dancing to get out and once the door opened he immediately gave me kisses. We had a little visitor today. A fifteen year old poodle mix named Louie. My trainer asked if he could stay in the den with us since the dogs out back were getting rowdy. So I started Bailey off with the light switch today and it's become waaaay to easy for him. Bailey kept turning the light on over and over without being asked and with no hesitation in between.
We then moved out back to work on an old favorite- auto sit. Bailey was pretty rusty and needed reminding. But once his memory was sparked he was right on every time. At one point I was walking Bailey and an adorable chocolate doodle was let out of the tennis courts to head home with her owner. She came around the corner and saw Bailey with me. For a moment she just stared and then suddenly put her front paws forward and bent her head down, butt straight up in the air, almost looking as though she were about to attack Bailey. But it was her way of getting ready to attack play! She jumped up from her crouch and bullet sped towards Bailey, tail wagging, ready to wrestle. Bailey said hello but kept his cool since he knew he was working. The whole thing was so cute!
After auto sit I took Bailey to get busy and then we went back in the den for some chill time. He crashed out instantly and slept like a rock. Soon we had lunch and then it was play time! I wanted to be there for one last play time in the side yard because I really enjoy watching him play with all his buddies. Here is a video of Bailey playing with his friend Charlie. Sooo cute!
Merry Christmas to those of you who celebrate!

2 comments:

  1. Hello Eva, I've just read every one of your "training posts" and enjoyed them all. I, too, am training a SD on my own with the help of a trainer and it's, as it is for you, so much fun. I use a power chair and so far (in the house, not so much out in the world yet, you know how that goes)she'1l pick things up for me and put them on my lap, close doors, and go where I'm pointing and stop. The trainer and I were just this last week working on "find Sandra." Anyway she's doing pretty good for an 18lb. terrier mix I adopted from Pet Rescue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eva, I finally have time to catch up on all the goings on with Bailey while I am rehabing. It sounds like you are doing great with him. How great to know that he is just days away from coming home for good. You both have worked very hard for this day. I could not be happier for you. I think my new nickname for Bailey is "boots" after seeing the video from his first visit home. love alice-marie

    ReplyDelete